Director of Engineering
We're looking for a Director of Engineering. Headquartered in Los Angeles, California, Right Balance applies the latest technology and best engineering practices to help businesses grow. We’re in the top 50 companies to watch in LA.
We're a USA-based company producing video solutions with the mission to advance scientific research and education. Our institutional clients comprise over 1,000 universities, colleges, and biopharma companies, including such leaders as Harvard, MIT, Yale, and Stanford. As a rapidly growing company, with offices in the USA, UK, Australia, and India servicing clients in over 60 countries, we are seeking talented individuals to join our company.
In this role, you’ll manage a fully distributed remote team (4 squads + QA), coach and level up the team as well as being a central point of communication for team building events, hackathons, and other culture building activities.
1. Learn and evolve your skills using the latest and greatest technology tools in a rapidly growing company
2. Learn from the best engineers. We constantly challenge the status quo and invent new ways of building a great product.
3. Flexible hours. Just join daily standups, sprint planning, and retrospective meetings. Other than that you’re in control of your own schedule
4. 100% remote. Work anywhere, whether it is remotely in the comfort of your home, in a shared co-working space, in an RV on the beach, or while being a nomad in another country.
5. Work on challenging problems, innovate, impacting lots of people's lives for the better while having fun doing it.
1. 8+ years of full-time hands-on Engineering Management experience.
2. 3+ years of full-time hands-on Director experience.
3. Upper-intermediate to fluent speaking and writing English. Able to have a real-time conversation.
4. Experience driving engineering strategy and long-term roadmap, considering organization design and scaling teams sustainably.
- Experience establishing and maturing modern best-practice agile development methodologies, processes, and tools (e.g., Scrum, Kanban, XP, test-driven development, continuous integration, etc.).
6. Experience working at multiple levels within a large international organization and a proven track record of delivery.
7. Experience interacting with customers, senior executives, and business leaders.
8. Demonstrated ability to attract talent to build highly functional technical teams, with a strong track record of managing performance, calibrating expectations, and building and maintaining a high-performing organization.
9. Experience with data-driven architecture and systems design, RESTful APIs, and microservices architecture.
10. Demonstrate strong interpersonal leadership and drive the team to be self-reliant in achieving team goals.
11. Embraces the concepts of Agile Scrum software development and its related collaboration and issue-tracking tools (e.g., JIRA, Rally)
12. Experience working in a Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery (CICD) model, including GitHub and CI pipeline automation tools.
13. Ability to triage and resolve incidents and lead incident investigations.
What are your typical clients?
The majority of our clients are venture-backed startups in the growth stage. Usually, at this stage, the company already achieved a product-market fit and is looking to expand rapidly. That’s where we bring the best engineering practices, strong architecture, and the latest technologies to help companies scale.
What is the length of your engagements?
Most of our long-term full-time engagements last multiple years so you are able to evolve your career with the company you are currently working in.
What’s your company size?
The Right Balance team is 60+ engineers going to 100 by the end of the year. The current client-size team is 500+ people. The timing is great to be a part of a rapidly growing team making meaningful contributions.
What happens if the engagement is completed?
Most of our engagements are long-term in nature. That said, if the current engagement is ramping down, we’ll present you with more long-term opportunities to transition into.
What are your core values?
Client First: we only win when our clients win. We treat client challenges as our own.
Ownership: we embrace responsibility, taking on challenges, getting them to completion, and enjoying getting things done.
Quality: we’re passionate about achieving quality outcomes by applying meticulous attention to detail.