Senior Ruby on Rails Engineer
We're looking for a strong Ruby on Rails engineer. Headquartered in Los Angeles, California, Right Balance applies the latest technology and the best engineering practices to help businesses grow. We’re in the top 50 companies to watch in LA.
Our client is changing the way consumers purchase and get support for new technology. Is the leading independent, nationwide on-demand technology support platform that provides affordable, same-day on-site and 24/7 online tech support services. Utilizes a network of thousands of independent technicians throughout the US that are hand-selected, vetted, and background-checked to provide a top-notch customer experience for a wide range of services, including computer support, smart home device installation, home office setup, and product sales.
You’ll help to build scalable, robust, rock-solid solutions that provide a smooth customer experience. You’ll be responsible for the design, development, delivery, and support of large-scale, multi-tier distributed software applications and tools.
Innovate with us and showcase your work to millions of users across the United States. The technology stack includes Kubernetes microservice environment, each service with a separate PostgreSQL datastore. We use Kafka to communicate between our microservices written in Ruby on Rails and Go. Our system serves 10 million events per month. Join us, it’ll be fun!
What’s in it for you
- Work with the latest and greatest technologies.
- Learn from the best people. We constantly challenge the status quo, learn from each other, and invent new ways of building a great product.
- We actually write automated tests. We take advantage of the latest automation tools like automatic deployments, CI/CD pipelines, and more.
- Flexible hours. Just join daily standups, sprint planning, and retrospective meetings. Other than that you’re in control of your own schedule.
- Work remotely at the comfort of your home or a shared co-working space.
- Work on challenging problems, innovate, have fun while doing it.
- Travel around the world. We offer occasional business trips to work with our clients face to face from their offices.
- 2+ years of full-time hands-on work experience in Rails.
- 4+ years of full-time hands-on work experience as a Back End Developer.
- Passion for building top-notch software applications and tools.
- Customer experience mindset.
- Proactive communication skills.
- Experience working with other engineers within a team and across teams.
- Ability to take product requirements and develop software architectures and designs.
- Ability to design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve the software as well as build new product features.
- Experience managing individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables.
Nice to haves
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field.
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed.
- Experience with automated testing.
- Big O notation.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are your typical clients?
The majority of our clients are venture-backed startups in the growth stage. Usually, at this stage, the company already achieved a product-market fit and is looking to expand rapidly. That’s where we bring the best engineering practices, strong architecture, and the latest technologies to help companies scale.
What is the length of your engagements?
Most of our long-term full-time engagements last multiple years so you are able to grow your career with the company you are currently working in.
What’s your company size?
The Right Balance team has 60+ engineers going to 100+ by the end of the year. It’s exciting to be a part of a solid engineering team making meaningful contributions.
What happens if the engagement is completed?
Most of our engagements are long-term in nature. That said, if the current engagement is ramping down, we’ll present you with more long-term opportunities to transition into.
What are your core values?
- Client First: we only win when our clients win. We treat client challenges as our own.
- Ownership: we embrace responsibility, taking on challenges, getting them to completion, and enjoying getting things done.
- Quality: we’re passionate about achieving quality outcomes by applying meticulous attention to detail.