Senior Backend API Engineer
We're looking for a Senior Backend API Engineer. Headquartered in Los Angeles, California, Right Balance applies the latest technology and best engineering practices to help businesses grow. We’re in the top 50 companies to watch in LA.
Our client is a fast-paced, high-growth startup, committed to transforming a $30-billion industry through our all-in-one platform. Leveraging the latest technology, we’re taking commercial contractors from the world of pen and paper operations to digitized, efficient, data-driven business.
The co-founders have over a decade of experience in both construction and SaaS technology, as well as a resume that includes Stanford, Harvard, Wharton, Cornell, Microsoft, and multiple successful startup exits, including a $1.2 billion acquisition. Our client has raised multiple rounds of funding from some of the largest and most reputable Venture Capital firms, including Founders Fund, Fika Ventures, and Greenspring Associates. Our engineering team is distributed across Los Angeles, Toronto, and Latin America. As a pioneering member of the team, your primary focus will be to help continue to build the product from the ground up. We are looking for a motivated, self-starter who can work in a distributed team environment. This is a hands-on role. The day-to-day responsibilities are broad, and you will ultimately be responsible for shipping software.
Our backend is in Node.js, frontend is in React.js and React Native. Solve interesting challenges in a rapid growth environment. The goal of this role is to improve the resiliency of the system. It’ll involve refactoring, writing tests so we can refactor, improving the infrastructure for importing and repairing the data, as well as investigating and resolving customer-reported bugs in a timely and efficient manner.
- Learn and evolve your skills using the latest and greatest technology tools in a rapidly growing company.
- Learn from the best engineers. We constantly challenge the status quo and invent new ways of building a great product.
- Flexible hours. Just join daily standups, sprint planning, and retrospective meetings. Other than that, you’re in control of your own schedule.
- 100% remote. Work anywhere, whether it is remotely in the comfort of your home, in a shared co-working space, in an RV on the beach, or while being a nomad in another country.
- Work on challenging problems, innovate, impacting lots of people's lives for the better while having fun doing it.
- Upper-intermediate to fluent speaking and writing English. Able to have a real-time conversation.
- 6+ years of full-time hands-on professional Software Engineering experience
- 4+ years of full-time hands-on in Node.js backend
- 2+ years working with queue and message solutions (SQS, Kafka, RabbitMQ, and similar)
- Experience with background workers
- Unit testing.
- Experience working in startups.
- Strong proactive communication skills.
- Java experience.
- Code complexity. Big O notation.
- React.js experience.
- Python experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent demonstrated ability.
What are your typical clients?
The majority of our clients are venture-backed startups in the growth stage. Usually, at this stage, the company already achieved a product-market fit and is looking to expand rapidly. That’s where we bring the best engineering practices, strong architecture, and the latest technologies to help companies scale.
What’s your company size?
The Right Balance team is 60+ engineers going to 100 by the end of the year. The current client size team is 190+ people. The timing is great to be a part of a rapidly growing team making meaningful contributions.
What happens if the engagement is completed?
Most of our engagements are long-term in nature. That said, if the current engagement is ramping down, we’ll present you with more long-term opportunities to transition into.
What are your core values?
Client First: we only win when our clients win. We treat client challenges as our own.
Ownership: we embrace responsibility, taking on challenges, getting them to completion, and enjoying getting things done.
Quality: we’re passionate about achieving quality outcomes by applying meticulous attention to detail.