Senior DevOps Engineer
We're looking for a senior-level DevOps engineer to join our team. Headquartered in Los Angeles, California, Right Balance applies the latest technology and the best engineering practices to help businesses grow. We’re in the top 50 companies to watch in LA.
Our client just raised a $50M series B round of funding and is looking to double the engineering team in the next 6 months. It’s your chance to join a high-quality engineering team with the hands-on CTO from SpaceX, MySpace, and Honest Company.
Text messaging adoption is growing rapidly. Now, an average person spends 23 hours a week texting. The product is a text messaging automation software platform allowing E-Commerce store owners to do most of their customer communication over text messaging as opposed to old-school calls and emails.
The React.js front end is powered by Python / Django backend API on top of a PostgreSQL database with Kafka processing high throughput text messages at the scale of 10s of millions messages per day.
Soon we’ll be adding NoSQL and Kubernetes into the mix. Join us, it’ll be a lot of fun!
1. Work with the latest and greatest technologies.
2. Learn from the best people. We constantly challenge the status quo, learn from each other, and invent new ways of building a great product.
3. We actually write automated tests. We take advantage of the latest automation tools like automatic deployments, CI/CD pipelines, and more.
4. Work remotely at the comfort of your home or a shared co-working space.
5. Work on challenging problems, innovate, have fun while doing it.
6. Travel around the world. We offer occasional business trips to work with our clients face to face from their offices.
1. 5+ years of professional full-time experience with AWS.
2. 2+ years of experience with Terraform.
3. Extensive experience implementing best practices in network security like VPC setup, security groups, bastion/jumpbox setup, VPN, inbound rules, ingress traffic management, etc.
4. Deep understanding and hands-on experience with best practices around secrets management using the tools like Hashicorp Vault, AWS Secrets Manager, managing signing certificates, etc.
5. Extensive experience creating well architected CI/CD pipelines for medium size organizations.
6. Ability to lead by example, understand client’s goals, create and implement solutions to achieve them in a team setting.
7. Experience working in a medium-size team, helping several feature development teams with infrastructure needs in a highly collaborative and proactive way.
8. Striving for automation is a must. The ideal candidate should be willing to automate themselves out of their job.
9. Upper-intermediate to fluent speaking and writing English.
10. Ability to think outside of the box and work on the same project long term with a high degree of care.
1. A formal Computer Science degree.
2. Working experience in a proper Agile / Scrum team environment.
3. Deep understanding of container orchestration frameworks like Kubernetes.
4. Serverless experience.
5. Experience with cloud infrastructure migration.
6. Experience working with messaging queues like Kafka, RabbitMQ, SQS, SNS, etc.
7. Ability to train engineering teams on best DevOps practices.
8. Growth stage startup experience.
9. Technical leadership experience.
10. Team management experience.
11. Open source contributions, presentations, and publications.
What are your typical clients?
The majority of our clients are venture-backed startups at the growth stage. Usually, at this stage, the company already achieved a product-market fit and is looking to expand rapidly. That’s where we bring the best engineering practices, strong architecture, and the latest technologies to help companies scale.
What is the length of your projects?
Most of our long-term full-time engagements last multiple years.
What’s your company size?
The Right Balance team is 10 - 15 people. The current client size team is 25 people looking to double it this year. It’s exciting to be a part of this growth making some meaningful contributions.
What happens if the engagement is completed?
Most of our engagements are long-term in nature. That said, if the current project is ramping down, we’ll present you with more long-term opportunities to transition into.
What are your core values?
We value autonomy, grind, empathy, mastery, and giving back to the community. We expect you to be autonomous, working directly with the client to build the best product. We value hard work, helping each other, constant learning as well as open-source contributions, and knowledge sharing.