Senior Software Engineer
We're looking for a strong senior-level Full Stack Software Engineer. Headquartered in Los Angeles, California, Right Balance applies the latest technology and the best engineering practices to help businesses grow. We’re in the top 50 companies to watch in LA.
We are travelers, artists, athletes, animal lovers, optimists and adventurers creating an incredibly strong, fully remote team and providing amazing service, no matter where we are. We’re problem solvers, and continuous learners never afraid of a challenge, and we’re looking to add another amazing Software Engineer to our Engineering team. The product is a whole new way to shop - called it H-Commerce (h is for humans). Is a B2B SaaS platform to provide personalized e-Commerce, by connecting online shoppers with real product experts to drive long-term, 1:1 relationships at scale via SMS. Join us, it will be exciting!
- Work with the latest and greatest technologies.
- Learn from the best people. We constantly challenge the status quo, learn from each other, and invent new ways of building a great product.
- We actually write automated tests. We take advantage of the latest automation tools like automatic deployments, CI/CD pipelines, and more.
- Flexible hours. Just join daily standups, sprint planning, and retrospective meetings. Other than that you’re in control of your own schedule.
- Work remotely at the comfort of your home or a shared co-working space.
- Work on challenging problems, innovate, have fun while doing it.
- Travel around the world. We offer occasional business trips to work with our clients face to face from their offices.
- 4+ total professional full time hands on experience with Web Development, Web Application architecture, and API’s.
- 1+ year building production systems using AWS.
- 4+ years of backend Node.js / Express, with some Typescript familiarity.
- 4+ years of past experience running applications in production, ideally with several thousands of users.
- 1+ year of Serverless.
- 2+ years of React or Vue (or 6+ months of Svelte)
- Deep familiarity with different AWS cloud native services.
- Experience building web APIs.
- Must have at least 4 working hours to overlap with the Pacific Timezone.
- An excellent ""system intuition"". We have many complex systems which require a strong ability to debug and quickly understand what is going on.
- Understanding of best practices for web development, software design principles.
- You value code quality and maintainability.
- Ability to work independently and with other engineers to develop new user experience-focused web applications, and provide support for existing systems.
- Ability to work on multiple parts of a web application, from internal backend APIs to dynamic frontend interfaces.
- Ability to collaborate with designers, front-end specialists, other engineers, stakeholders, and clients to understand business goals, analyze requirements, formulate solutions, and ensure the successful execution and delivery of the end product using the best technologies.
- Ability to assist in scoping, estimating, and planning of projects.
- Ability to participate in code review, pairing, and other forms of knowledge sharing.
- Ability to support production of applications that may be required on some projects.
- Ability to mentor and help others grow and make an impact.
- Some familiarity using Lambda and DynamoDB.
- Extreme curiosity, collaboration and communication skills.
- AWS CDK or similar like Terraform or any other IaC tool experience.
- DynamoDB experience.
- Previous remote working experience.
- Working on web applications that process large volumes of data and/or receive high volumes of traffic.
- Real-time data processing.
- Reverse engineering / security / best practices for securing the infrastructure.
- Knowledge of Runtime and memory complexity using Big O notation.
- Deep understanding of automated testing, ability to set up automated testing frameworks, testing architecture, data seeding, mocking, and implementing best testing practices.
- Open source contributions, presentations, and publications.
- Team leadership experience.
- Team management experience.
What are your typical clients?
The majority of our clients are venture-backed startups at the growth stage. Usually, at this stage, the company already achieved a product-market fit and is looking to expand rapidly. That’s where we bring the best engineering practices, strong architecture, and the latest technologies to help companies scale.
What is the length of your engagements?
Most of our long-term full-time engagements last multiple years.
What’s your company size?
The Right Balance team has 50+ engineers going to 100+ by the end of the year. The current client size team is 15+ people. This is an opportunity to build some foundational IoT technology in a small team of seasoned professionals.
What happens if the engagement is completed?
Most of our engagements are long-term in nature. That said, if the current project is ramping down, we’ll present you with more long-term opportunities to transition into.
What are your core values?
We value autonomy, grind, empathy, mastery, and giving back to the community. We expect you to be autonomous, working directly with the client to build the best product. We value hard work, helping each other, constant learning as well as open-source contributions, and knowledge sharing.