Senior TechOps Engineer
We're looking for a strong senior-level TechOps engineer. Headquartered in Los Angeles, California, Right Balance applies the latest technology and the best engineering practices to help businesses grow. We’re in the top 50 companies to watch in LA.
Our client’s mission is to connect online and offline identities in a way that promotes understanding, fairness, and accountability; aiming to use this connected identity to better inform the most important decisions we make as humans. Backed by some of the world’s leading venture capitalists and institutional investors, they are an AI-based software solution that identifies problematic behavior among potential hires and current employees by analyzing publicly available online information. Enterprise Human Resources and Talent Acquisition Leaders from numerous large companies trust them to identify abusive behaviors, such as bigotry and harassment, that are often missed in the hiring and management process.
By using Data Science and Machine Learning, they are helping hundreds of brands across the globe to screen thousands of people every month, while rapidly growing their traffic 30% month over month by utilizing the SaaS model.
Our Python-based Serverless Microservices with FastAPI on the backend power our modern web frontend applications written in React / Redux. Lots of greenfield development for new Microservices as well as Microfrontends. We’re using the latest AWS services like Aurora, Lambda, EventBridge, believing in automated testing and solid DevOps principles. Plenty of scaling challenges as well as exposure to Machine Learning and Data Science. Join us, it’ll be fun!
- Work with the latest and greatest technologies.
- Learn from the best people. We constantly challenge the status quo, learn from each other, and invent new ways of building a great product.
- We actually write automated tests. We take advantage of the latest automation tools like automatic deployments, CI/CD pipelines, and more.
- Flexible hours. Just join daily standups, sprint planning, and retrospective meetings. Other than that you’re in control of your own schedule.
- Work remotely at the comfort of your home or a shared co-working space.
- Work on challenging problems, innovate, have fun while doing it.
- Travel around the world. We offer occasional business trips to work with our clients face to face from their offices.
- 2+ years of hands on full time Infrastructure as code experience
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in at least one of the primary areas of TechOps focus: DevOps, DataOps, SecOps, or ProdOps
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in the other primary areas of TechOps focus: DevOps, DataOps, SecOps, or ProdOps
- 3+ years of experience building and managing software products on AWS cloud services preferably focused on AWS serverless technologies
- 1+ years working within teams that believe in and live the principles of lean-agile, DevOps-guided product development
- Upper-intermediate to Advanced level of verbal English.
- Regardless of area of expertise, have the desire and ability to participate in ProdOps within a high-volume SaaS company, including being on call to coordinate response to, and participate in the solution of, production issues.
- Strong ability to communicate clearly and authoritatively with both technical and non-technical teams.
- Ability to help determine when to build something ourselves, and when to buy technology to fit our use cases.
- Comfortable working with diverse people and teams across the organization, from operations analysts to the CEO and being able to communicate across the organization on all aspects of TechOps.
- Ability to iteratively design and build solutions aligned to the roadmap.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in your primary area(s) of expertise.
- Lead and participate in production support and incident response.
- Believe in the client’s mission, work every day to live that mission, and help others do the same.
- Natural desire and ability to mentor and teach those you work with.
- Belief that in the world of TechOps, documentation is not waste.
- Knowledge of Runtime and memory complexity using Big O notation.
- Deep understanding of automated testing, ability to set up automated testing frameworks, testing architecture, data seeding, mocking, and implementing best testing practices.
- Open-source contributions, presentations, and publications.
- Assist in selecting vendors to provide solutions when we choose not to build them ourselves.
- Team leadership experience.
- Team management experience.
What are your typical clients?
The majority of our clients are venture-backed startups at the growth stage. Usually, at this stage, the company already achieved a product-market fit and is looking to expand rapidly. That’s where we bring the best engineering practices, strong architecture, and the latest technologies to help companies scale.
What is the length of your projects?
Most of our long-term full-time engagements last multiple years.
What’s your company size?
The Right Balance team is 30+ engineers looking to double by the end of the year. The current client size team is over 40 engineers with close to 200 total employees, looking to keep growing fast and aiming to hire up to 150 new employees over the next year. It’s your opportunity to be a part of this growth making meaningful contributions in a team of highly skilled professionals.
What happens if the engagement is completed?
Most of our engagements are long-term in nature. That said, if the current project is ramping down, we’ll present you with more long-term opportunities to transition into.
What are your core values?
We value autonomy, grind, empathy, mastery, and giving back to the community. We expect you to be autonomous, working directly with the client to build the best product. We value hard work, helping each other, constant learning as well as open-source contributions, and knowledge sharing.