Software Engineer (Data)
We're looking for a strong Data Engineer. Headquartered in Los Angeles, California, Right Balance applies the latest technology and the best engineering practices to help businesses grow. We’re in the top 50 companies to watch in LA.
Our client is a rapidly growing SaaS startup that raised a $25.9M Series B round funding. They enable the world’s top real estate agents and brokers with award-winning websites and cutting-edge technology to manage their online presence. Moving fast to be a one-stop-shop for everything from websites to marketing services, they are already the official website partner to powerful brokerages like Compass, Corcoran, Sotheby’s, and Coldwell Banker.
As a Software Engineer (Data), you will be working on our data pipeline orchestrated by various open source technologies. Data sources will vary from hundreds of data providers as well as from our very own platform analytics. You'll be joining a team primarily focused on providing accurate and consistent data to our platform and customers that care about shipping sustainable and tested solutions that will affect real-world real estate transactions. If you are interested in building scalable infrastructure to host thousands of small business websites or architecting an interactive editing experience for email marketing, join us!
What’s in it for you
1. Work with the latest and greatest technologies for a venture-backed startup. 2. Learn from the best people. We constantly challenge the status quo, learn from each other, and invent new ways of building a great product.
3. We actually write automated tests. We take advantage of the latest automation tools like automatic deployments, CI/CD pipelines, and more.
4. Flexible hours. Just join daily standups, sprint planning, and retrospective meetings. Other than that you’re in control of your own schedule.
5. Work remotely at the comfort of your home or a shared co-working space.
6. Work on challenging problems, innovate, and have fun.
7. Travel around the world. We offer occasional business trips to work with our client's face to face from their offices.
1. 3+ years of full-time hands-on data engineer experience.
2. 3+ years of experience with Java, Python or Go.
3. 3+ years of SQL experience.
4. Upper-intermediate to fluent speaking and writing English.
5. Experience with Data pipelines (ETL, ELT, DB).
6. Experience with data-driven architecture and systems design RESTful APIs.
7. Experience with SQL, in-memory and/or distributed SQL (e.g. PostgreSQL, AuroraDB)
8. Experience integrating with 3rd party APIs, external frameworks, and libraries.
9. Embraces the concepts of Agile Scrum software development and its related collaboration and issue tracking tools (e.g. Freshworks, JIRA, Rally).
10. Proven success working in Agile environments (Scrum, Kanban, etc.).
Nice to haves
1. Experience with Software as a Service (SaaS), and multi-tenancy application development.
2. Serverless, microservices architecture experience.
3. NoSQL experience with Redis / Dynamo.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are your typical clients?
The majority of our clients are venture-backed startups at the growth stage. Usually, at this stage, the company already achieved a product-market fit and is looking to expand rapidly. That’s where we bring the best engineering practices, strong architecture, and the latest technologies to help companies scale.
What is the length of your projects?
Most of our long-term full-time engagements last multiple years.
What’s your company size?
The Right Balance team is 10 - 15 engineers. The current client team size is 30 engineers expanding to 50 engineers by the end of this year. It’s exciting to be a part of this growth making some meaningful contributions.
What happens if the engagement is completed?
Most of our engagements are long-term in nature. That said, if the current project is ramping down, we’ll present you with more long-term opportunities to transition into.
What are your core values?
We value autonomy, grind, empathy, mastery, and giving back to the community. We expect you to be autonomous, working directly with the client to build the best product. We value hard work, helping each other, constant learning, open-source contributions, and knowledge sharing.